Consignment inventory represents a common practice in many industries specifically in Retail industry but has been adopted by number of manufacturing companies.
Consignment inventory refers to the stock that is owned by a Vendor but stored at your company’s Inventory dimension e.g. Site, warehouse, location, Aisle and then the payment of such inventory takes place when the inventory ownership is shifted to the company.
The concept of the vendor consigned inventory has been newly introduced in DAX365;
Before we start exploring this functionality and do some transactions, we will start with the mandatory setups that are required to perform such transactions.
- Creation of Inventory owner (Create the record for the inventory owner i.e. provide legal entity name who is supposed to take the ownership of the inventory and list down the vendors who you declare to be responsible for consigned inventory)
Navigate to : Inventory management > Setup > Inventory owner
- Configure Tracking dimension group and activating owner dimension.
Note: In current AX version, the owner cannot be activated along with batch and serial tracking, a customization may be required if an inventory item is associated with batch and serial number)
Navigate to: Product and information management > Setup > Dimension and variant groups > Tracking dimension group
- Configure Inventory model group _ only standard cost and moving average inventory models are supported, so only the released products associated with such models can be used in such transactions.
Navigate to: Inventory management > Setup > Inventory > Item model group
- Configure Inventory ownership change journal
Navigate to: Inventory management > Setup > Journal names > Inventory
- Configuring consignment warehouse separately (the logic of having different warehouse is to differentiate consignment inventory and to better manage the stock)
Navigate to: Inventory management > Setup > Inventory breakdown > Warehouses (Note : Do not consider to provide vendor account while configuring warehouse as it has nothing to do with consignment warehouse, this vendor account insertion is for Sub-contract production process in which user specify where they need to deliver to subcontracts vendors so it is used for default warehouse delivery address)
Step by Step process
- Create Inventory owner i.e. enter vendor 1006 and create a record for USRT _ Why we do this? Because we need to create a link between our vendor and the owner inventory dimension.
- Create tracking dimension group for type Owner.
- Setup/configure Item model group (if there isn’t any existing one for Standard or moving average)
- Use an existing product that is associated with inventory model of type standard cost/moving average or create a new released product and associate it with inventory model of type standard cost/moving average.
Note: If released product belongs to standard cost inventory model, you must activate a purchase and cost price for the site that will later be used for storing consignment inventory.
- Configure a consignment warehouse and associate with the site that is supposed to be used for consignment inventory.
- Configure journal name for Inventory ownership change and associate a voucher series to it.
- To create consignment inventory transaction.
Navigate to: to Procurement and sourcing > Consignment > Consignment replenishment orders.
- Create new consignment replenishment order by clicking New > select Vendor i.e. 1006 (the one we configured within inventory owner)
- Add line, select the Product i.e. CoProd-01, enter the QTY, enter Requested delivery date and enter the warehouse i.e. CONSWAR (or the consignment warehouse)
- Click Generate product receipt to physically update the consignment inventory.
- The Order status will be change to Completed.
- Visit the inventory transaction to see the impact of this consignment replenishment order.
- If the ownership is required to be shifted to the legal entity meaning that the current legal entity would like to take the ownership of the inventory, go to Inventory management > Journal entries > Items > Inventory ownership change or go to Procurement and sourcing > Consignment > Inventory ownership change to do so.
1- Click New to create new Journal.
2- In the line details> click New to create a record for the item i.e. CoProd-01, enter the QTY (if the entire QTY needs to be shifted one can enter it but if user wants to split the QTY it can be achieved as well).
3- Change the warehouse to CONSWAR.
4- Click Post to post the journal.
5- Visit the inventory transaction to see the impacts
Note: One can notice that a purchase order has been created and the physical inventory has been updated i.e. Receipt status = Received. At this point, the ownership of the inventory is changed from Vendor 1006 to USRT (legal entity) and Invoice now can be raised to create liability, as soon as the order is invoiced inventory status will also be updated i.e Receipt status will be = Purchased.
Moreover, as a reference, the PO header will reflect the Origin of the PO as Consginment.